Thursday, February 9, 2012

reflections on the VMs, so far

I do not think I was fully prepared for the powerful experience participating in the Vagina Monologues would be. 

Gathering weekly with so many talented, passionate women, and rehearsing together these raw, poignant, monologues has been an absolutely beautiful experience. Several of us participating are not actresses, but regardless, I feel the room fill up with emotion with each monologue.  And I remain in awe at the resilience of women, their power, their courage.  The ability to hope through it all.

Yesterday, a friend with whom I have become reacquainted through the Monologues, shared her own personal experience explaining why this cause, that of sexual violence, rape, and violence against women, is dear to her heart. Read her experience here. All I can say is that I am once again shocked at how many people have been affected by this.  How many people I know personally. Most of these cases don't make the news, but they shake people's lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment