Saturday, November 10, 2012

laundry soap

Hello, friends.

I have been a little absent lately. My apologies.

I have some ideas for posts that i've been sitting on, which I will hopefully share soon, but in the meantime I want to share something else with you.

-------------------------

I've been making my own laundry soap for a few years now. It works well, doesn't leave a strong scent (but it does leave a fresh scent), is much cheaper, and is environmentally friendly. I got this recipe from The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier.

I usually make a double or triple batch, and it lasts me through 4-5 months or so.

Mix together:

1 cup washing soda (available in boxes in the laundry aisle)
1 cup baking soda
1 cup soap flakes or finely grated pure bar soap
10 drops essential oil of choice* (optional)

Use 1/2 cup for an average load. (I usually use less than that)

I usually start the water running into the washing machine, put in a scoop of soap and glug of white vinegar (which apparently also cuts down on static electricity).

Enjoy!


*Here is a picture of the essential oil chart in the book, which I really appreciate, 
though I will say I don't really notice the scent in the washed clothes, after drying:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I have been interested in making my own laundry soap but all the recipes I have seen contain Borax, which I am very allergic too. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making ours for at least a year now using this same recipe, sans the essential oils. I love it and have saved quite a bit of money doing it.

    ReplyDelete