Monday, February 11, 2013

an ode to Malcolm.



This is our dog Malcolm.

He was old, got sick, and had to be put to sleep tonight.

Malcolm has been around for about half of my life (since I was about thirteen, I think). He was an awesome pet in a lot of ways. He was really well-trained, gentle, patient. He was a puppy when the girls were little, and they were not gentle with him by any means (per usual, with toddlers/young children), but he never attempted to bite or harm them in anyway for that. He was also extremely energetic and loved playing soccer (he destroyed many a soccer ball that way) and fetch with any ball that anyone would throw for him.

My favorite thing about him, though, was how sometimes it felt like he was the best friend a person could ever have. When I (or anyone) would look right at him and talk to him, he'd tilt his head to the side with every phrase, as if he were listening intently and thinking about what I had just said.

And sometimes, when I was feeling sad, I would lay with him on the floor. I'd squeeze him tight and bury my face in his fur, and he would just be there. For as long as I needed him to be. No questions, never in a hurry to move on to something else. Just a listening ear and a patient hug.

I will miss that.



And now, a shameless onslaught of pictures. Because this is my blog, and I can.

Also because this dog was full of personality, and it was hilarious.














opening his tiny stocking (he was a great gift-opener)


Christmas morning at grandma's.

 enjoying his princess sleeping bag

Playing ball in the snow (You will never meet a dog who was more obsessed with playing ball. )

 Snuggles with Katie

 He loved being swaddled.




It was ridiculous really, how much he liked it.


in the old house.

 just hangin' out with Oreo

 getting some pets from Emily



and helping me vacuum.

Having a serious talk with Katie...

 ...until he tips over.

dressing up for halloween

giving lola a ride

Riding in the car (he was an excellent traveler, really)

more Katie snuggles

and kisses.

Oh, Malcolm. We had some great times. Thanks for always being there.  
Rest in peace, little buddy.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Austin. It's beautiful! It really captures Malcolm's many virtues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your sweet Malcolm's passing! Dear canine friends are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete