Sunday, September 9, 2012

sickie

...is what my father used to call me/us when we were sick as children.

It was the first thing that came to me for a title for this post, because, well...

I am sick.

I don't get sick often, thank goodness (the last time I had a fever was almost two years ago). I blame that on good genes. And the fact that my mother breastfed me for my first three months. I think it is an ear infection/cold this time. I woke up with a fever, though I think it has gone down from this morning.

ps. having a fever is the weirdest feeling.

I have used the following natural remedies to try to clear it up quickly:
  • echinacea tincture (2x already today)
  • mullein tincture (for my cough)
  • xylitol sinus/nasal spray (2x already today)
  • apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons in a glass of water. this is probably the grossest one of the whole list)
  • onion juice in my ear (don't worry, that is a reputable source. though putting things in your ear can be potentially dangerous, i imagine, so try that one at your own risk)
  • homemade garlic and onion broth (this actually tasted pretty good)
  • not eating sugar (even in fruit form)
  • not eating much, and only whole grains, vegetables or protein when I do
  • drinking lots of water
  • staying in bed (mostly), with my head propped up to help with sinus congestion
I will probably try some garlic in my ear next if I have more problems, though the onion juice helped quite a bit. 

Something's got to work, right? I've had good success with natural remedies in the past. I don't even remember the last time I had to take antibiotics, so let's keep that trend going! 

I don't want to have to get a sub for school tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll take advantage of this excuse to stay in bed all day and catch up on the books I need to read, so I can decide which ones I want to teach in my class. 


No comments:

Post a Comment