Thursday, January 3, 2013

i am pro-choice.

Well.

Generally speaking, I try to avoid posting anything political to any sort of social media. I hate arguing, and contention in general. And I don't like to draw lines in the sand between myself and other people. I mostly just want everyone to get along and love and support each other.

However, since this is my personal blog, I feel like this is maybe a good place to start with posting things that could be potentially controversial. I think it is good for me to learn to own up to what I think and believe.

So. Here is the issue for today:

After reading this blog post, and its follow-up, I feel that I can finally confidently proclaim that I am  "pro-choice" in regards to abortion.  Both articles are pretty long, but really worth the read if you feel conflicted about which side of this debate to be on.

I am pro-choice.

Here are some of the main ideas the author addresses in the first article:

  • banning abortion does not decrease abortion rates
  • the better solution of birth control
  • the argument that birth control prevents fertilized eggs from implanting and therefore could be seen as "aborting" babies (women's bodies actually naturally dispel fertilized eggs more often than we think)
  • How the fact that it is more difficult to afford children these days affects the abortion rate


Honestly, it is a relief to be able to confidently be on one side of the debate here. I've thought about this issue a lot, and have been frustrated with it on many an occasion.  I'd share more

Anyway. Have a read, and tell me what you think.


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it is just great to say: this is my position, deal with it, rather than trying to give some nuanced explanation that tries not to offend anyone while still having some of the truths you hold to.

    ReplyDelete